Tuesday 21 March 2017

Whales

Whales.

As I swim through the clear, cool water, I look down. Thousands of little fish and coral line the seabed, minding their own business. Me and my pod, are migrating to a warmer part of the pacific ocean.
There are about 400 whales in my pod, most of them younger whales.
I feel the water changing, from warm to cool as the sun goes down. The water gets darker and darker. In the distance, I can see a big rock formation. As I come up to breathe, I realise that there is more to the rocks underwater. The rocks are a base to a  massive mountain. I stare at it and then go back underwater.

A few hours later, I hear a cry for help. The noise echoes towards and around us. My whole pod and I rush towards the cry. All of a sudden, I have a weird illusion. At least, I think that it was an illusion. It seemed to me that the seabed was rushing up to meet me. All of a sudden, I felt sand under my belly. It was a strange feeling, I looked to my right and saw my pod lined up along the beach as if we were hung up on a clothesline. The same thing as I look to my right. Over 200 beached whales- including myself. That’s when I heard a strange voice. I felt a hand rest on my body.
I hear a voice say “Do you think that it’ll be alright?”
“I hope so!” Another one answered.

After a long night of water being washed over my body, and wet towels being put over my back, the sun finally rose. I thought that I would never see the sun again. Unfortunately, a good part of my pod didn't see the sun again. They died in the night. All of a sudden, I was being moved! I was now free! I swam out a long way and then stopped. I turned around and swam back. I wanted to get one last look at my friends. But, the humans had formed a barrier. I couldn’t get past them. I could see all the tails of my dead friends.  I say a quiet prayer for them and wish them good luck.
“Well then”, I say, “Goodbye” I say, and swim away.

By Hugh

No comments:

Post a Comment